- Draw and cut a sun. Glue it to the back of the cardboard.
- Draw and cut clouds. Glue them to the board.
- Draw and cut green squares to make the square house.
- Make a purple rectangle for the door.
- Draw and cut purple rectangles and triangles to make the triangle house.
- Make a green rectangle for the door.
- Draw and cut red circles for the roof and floor of the circle house. Cut a long rectangle and curve it to make a cylinder.
- Cut a yellow circle for the door.
- Attach all three shaped houses to the board with tape and glue.
- Make people for your village.
This math craft was created in January 2004 by Erika V., grade 5,
- Try changing the height and width of your houses. For instance, you could make a tall, skinny cylinder and a short, fat cylinder.
- Try flat roofs, peaked roofs, and pointed roofs.
- Try putting a roof of one shape on top of a house of a different shape.
- Can you use one long rectangle to form all of the sides of a square house or a triangle house?
- See Number City for another math craft of paper buildings.
Philip G. Vroom Elementary School, Ms. Geis's class, Bayonne, New Jersey, U.S.